Monday, February 2, 2009

Leavin' On A Jet Plane

(Tune: "Leavin' On A Jet Plane")

All my bags are packed
I'm ready to go
I'm standin' here at City Hall's door
I hate to have to tell my friends goodbye
But the dawn is breakin'
It's early morn
A policeman's waitin'
He's blowin' his horn
Already I'm so lonesome
I could die

So pray for me and smile for me
Tell me that you'll wait for me
Tell me that someday I'll wear a crown
Cause I'm leavin' on a jet plane
Don't know when I'll be back again
Oh Portland, I know I let you down

There's so many times I've let you down
So many times I've played around
I tell you now, I know these things were wrong
Ev'ry place I go, I'll think of you
Ev'ry speech I give, I'll give for you
When I come back, these handcuffs will be gone

So pray for me and smile for me
Tell me that you'll wait for me
Tell me that someday I'll wear a crown
Cause I'm leavin' on a jet plane
Don't know when I'll be back again
Oh Portland, I know I let you down